dormitory sprinklers supplied over 3 floors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhgf

Structural
Jan 26, 2012
DE
HI!

I have a dormitory 3floor building which will be renovated. There will be interconnected housing-modules from 1st to 3rd floor. Means, that in 3rd & 2nd floor are 2 sleeping rooms in each floor (4 persons total) and in the 1st is a shared kitchen & living space. there will be 16 modules in the building.
can i supply 1 sprinklerriser for each module from the basement which supplies each floor of a module? Means, there will be 16 sprinklerrisers, 1 for each modul.
is it allowed as per nfpa to supply 3 floors from the basement? Each module has about 20 sprinkler in total. system is wet.

Thanks!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

is it allowed as per nfpa to supply 3 floors from the basement?

Yes, as long as the total area of all floors combined does not exceed 52,000 sq ft in the case of Light or OH.

NFPA® 13 "Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems" 2016 Edition said:
8.2.4 Floor Control Valve Assemblies.
8.2.4.1* Multistory buildings exceeding two stories in height shall be provided with a floor control valve, check valve, main drain valve, and flow switch for isolation, control, and annunciation of water flow for each individual floor level.
8.2.4.2 The floor control valve, check valve, main drain valve, and flow switch required by 8.2.4.1 shall not be required where sprinklers on the top level of a multistory building are supplied by piping on the floor below.
8.2.4.3 The floor control valve, check valve, main drain valve, and flow switch required by 8.2.4.1 shall not be required where the total area of all floors combined does not exceed the system protection area limitations of 8.2.1

The way I read it is if there's a basement and each floor does not exceed 13,000 sq ft (52,000 total) you're fine.

I suppose if the third and fourth floor is each 50,000 sq ft you can combine the third and fourth (100,000 sq ft) with a single floor control valve controlling water to the third and fourth floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back