Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Double Channel Spacers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rulljs

Structural
Apr 12, 2005
US
Guys/Gals,

I have an existing 20ft. long C8x11.5 and I will be beefing it up with an additional C8x11.5 which will be bolted to the back of the existing, I want to leave a ¾” gap in between the two channels, to do this I will be using ¾” spacer plates, but my question is, along this twenty foot span I don’t know exactly how many plates need to be inserted so that these double channels will act as one continuous beam.

Any information or direction to reference material on this subject would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To find the maximum spacing for your spacer plates, you must first find the span at which the channels will LTB by themselves under the imposed load. If your spacers are at that length or less, you won't have an issue with the channels buckling individually and can treat the channels as a unit.

Understand that Cb will be close to 1 for this check (the moment could be distributed pretty evenly across the distance from spacer to spacer), but since you probably take Cb to be 1 anyway, you shouldn't have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back