Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Double face tape on non-stick surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosier1

Mechanical
Jun 7, 2007
US
I am working on a product that needs double face tape to bond. The problem is the product needs to be positioned before it is taped down. Looking for some kind of plastic membrane that would not stick to the tape and slide out from underneath.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think anything will just slide out unless it has some sort of temporary lubricant (rubbing alcohol maybe?) You will need something that "peels" off.

So use the film that comes on the roll of tape. Pull up one corner and fold it underneath, so that a tab is sticking out. Position, put your exposed tape corner down, then pull that tab to expose the rest of the tape, and press.

Using the existing release liner is fairly obvious, so I'm guessing that you have a number of pieces of tape already attached to one part and that you cannot access these pieces of tape as you position the parts together. So you need a large sheet of release film that you can peel out from between the parts. 6 mil polyethylene film may work, depending on how aggressive the adhesive is. It is the cheapest option, but it is somewhat stretchy and stretching of the film interferes with the peeling effect. Other options are silicone coated release paper or polyester film. These are hard to get in small quantity and will not be very durable.

The best but most expensive option is a sheet of teflon coated fiberglass fabric. It has no stretch and excellent release.

I'm trying to tape a fabric material to a dome shape surface, so the suggestions may not work. I was hoping to treat the double face tape on one side with some kind of temporary coating and use a hair dryer to heat causing the substance to melt or dry, allowing the tape to stick. Anyone have any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back