Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Double Hydrometer - Sample Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona3106

Geotechnical
Feb 5, 2010
US
I'm really confused here.

I will be running the double hydrometer test (ASTM D4221). Section 8.1 says to use 50g of oven dried soil to run a normal D422 hydrometer test. However, 8.3 says to run the test without any dispersing agent or mechanical agitation using only 25g of oven dried soil.

Is this right - Run the normal one with 50g and the other one with 25g???? I don't understand the huge difference in sample weight when the calcs seem to indicate that the results can be directly compared.

I did run one, and for the test with no dispersing agent, my hydrometer reading was 0, and the zero correction in the blank cylinder was 5. My corrected hydrometer readings are now negative. I'm not sure how this could have happened, even using only 25g of sample

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK - I have heard from others that you do use 25g for the water only hydro, and that 0 readings are not unusual. I would still like some explanation as to why you should use half the amount of soil for the sample that is not mechanically agitated with dispersing agent.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back