Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

double random joint pipe 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pipe is sold in random lengths to avoid massive waste and scrap. They start with a block of iron sized to create a piece of pipe 16 feet long. After the pipe is rolled, it might be 15.5 feet or 17 feet long. They sell it at whatever length it is. If they insisted that every piece was exactly 16 feet, they would have to start with more iron to be sure the pipe was at least 16 feet long. Then they would have to cut off the excess and scrap it. Very wasteful.

So pipe is sold in random length (about 16 feet) or double random length (about 32 feet). You pay for the actual length of the pipe you receive. I might order 700 feet of 1 inch pipe in double random lengths. I get exactly 700 feet of pipe and I pay for 700 feet of pipe. But the individual pieces of pipe are not exactly 32 feet long.

Johnny Pellin

This is the table in API 5L.

So varies for say a nominal 12m / 40ft pipe can be 14 ft to 45 ft(!!) with average 35 ft.

In pipeline terms double random normally mean a "nominal" 12m / 40ft long pipe plus or minus 2 - 3 ft. Single random is 6m / 20ft. Other industries may use a different accepted nominal length.

You usually find pipe specifications or the data sheet restricts the range to something more like 36 ft to 42 ft with average not less than 39ft.

Sometime there is a strict maximum if you want it to be transported on e.g. railcars or inside a container.

image_tytf5p.png

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Single random pipe length is usually 18 - 25 feet plain end or 18 - 22 feet threaded and coupled pipes.

The term “random” refers to the fact that the pipe mill sets the pipe length between a min-max value, but cannot control the exact length of every single pipe. A double random length pipe has an expected length twice the length of an SRL pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back