Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Double top plate nailing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SacreBleu

Structural
Apr 7, 2005
US
At the office where I work, the standard double top plate splice calls for total of 24-16d nails. The usual IBC or UBC nailing schedule calls for 8-16d. Does the nailing schedule imply 8 nails each side of the splice, total of 16? That would be closer to the 24 (which is probably a result of some cases of high chord forces).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've seen the requirement for 8 nails and really couldn't tell if that was meant to develop a certain force or not. I would use 8 as a minimum and specify more if forces required. I interpretted the code to mean 8 on each side like you said.

8-16d nails for double top plate splice is specified in the nailing schedule in the UBC and CBC (Table 23-B-II-1). This is a minimum nailing unless design forces warrant a greater resistance. The nailing is intended to be at "laps". You don't always get 8'-0" long pieces to obtain a perfect 4'-0" laps each side. If the pieces are 12'-0" for example, apply 8-16d at the 4'-0" lap, and apply 16d @ 16"oc at the 8'-0" portion as a minimum, unless design forces warrant a greater resistance. For 8'-0" pieces (typical in residential construction), 8-16d can be applied at each side of splice.

whyun,
OK, now I get it. The detail at my office calls for spacing the nails very tight together, and in 2 rows, concentrated close to the splice. Your explanation makes a lot more sense. Gave you a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back