Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dowel bars length in seismic retrofit project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imheron

Structural
Nov 9, 2006
CA
I'm designing a seismic retrofitting project. Similar to the detail introduced in FEMA-172, an existing concrete frame will be infilled with a new shear-wall which attaches to the exist column on one side while keeps about 4 feet from another exist column on the other side.
The spandrel beam is about 3 feet and half.
It will be a good idea to make the concentrated rebars (6_20M) pass through the spandrel beam. But the contractor is complaing about the difficulties due to the height of the beam and possible many rebars inside the spandrel beam which supports several prestressed beams span about 50 feet.
There is another way I want to try.
Instead of making rebars pass through the spandrel beam, I'm going to utilize dowel-bars (6_20M) plus HILLTI HY 150, from both the top and bottom of the spandrel beam. But I'm not very sure about the depth of embedment. From the "HILLTI HY 150 REBAR DESIGN GUIDE", for the 20M bars in fc'=30Mpa, the minimum embedment and overlap is 300mm (compression) or 195mm (tension). Should these values be multiplied by 1.5 times since Canadian Code requires that splice length within plastic hinge range should be 1.5 times of development. Another possible problems is there is no information about rebars in the spandrel beams, could the detail cause the spandrel beam possible failure under the reverse earthquake load?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back