Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Down conversion -- Simulink !! Help Me !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

srikanth4alll

Electrical
Jul 1, 2010
US
I am doing a simulation in simulink

I have a carrier signal of 455 KHz, sampling that signal at a rate of 450 KHz, so as to down convert my carrier signal to a intermediate frequency signal of frequency (5KHz).

Now, I am trying to collect samples of these 5KHz signal and I have collected 8192 samples of the signal, and I need a bin resolution of 1 Hz. So, I am padding 8192 samples with zeros. Now the length of the zero padded sequence is 2^(19). Here my bin frequency resolution is (455000/2^(19))=(0.85Hz < 1Hz).

Now I am performing a FFT operation on the 2^(19) sequence and trying to find the peak frequency using a peak search algorithm.

When I do this, the simulink is showing two results 4999.63 Hz (or) 5000.51 Hz, (since 5 KHz is not a bin frequency -- I dont know if this is the reason). The above procedure I am doing it several times always buffering 8192 samples each time and padding and finding the peak. I compare every 3 results, only if the 3 results match, I use the samples for the further purpose. So in the 3 results sometimes it is showing 4999.63 and sometimes 5000.51 due to this, there is mismatch in the results.

What should I do to avoid this ambiguity.??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you approached your professor about this issue?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back