Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Draft analysis on molds. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoliverT

Mechanical
Oct 7, 2005
I am trying to make a mold from a part that that was created in SolidWorks. My only training has been the tutorial provied with SolidWorks. Everything is working as planned except when I do a draft analyasis it shows that I have a straddle face. The tutorial does not explain what a straddle face is,nor what to do to correct the problem. At this point the mold operation will not continue and I assume that this is because of the straddle face. Can anyone help me with this problem?

SolidWorks 2006
OS Windows XP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They are faces that contain both positive and negative types of draft. Typically, these are faces that requires you to create a split line.

My guess is that you may have filleted and then drafted. I have run into a few occasions where solidworks thinks a face is a straddle face and it is not.

Mold tools are not always the magic bullet you are looking for. The tool is good in many ways, but there are ways like copying surface using offset surface with a value of 0, using fill surface for shutoff surface, creating your own parting surfaces, and then using extrude up to surface can often give you what you need. Tools like Split, Indent, Combine, etc also help. Mold tools are like macros for all this stuff wrapped up into a gui.

Hope this helps. Sounds like you are fairly new to SW. Don't fly to close to the sun right off. Take your time to learn about using surfaces, especially if you are into making molds.

RFUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back