Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

draft angle on a logo on an angled surface? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

engrnick

Mechanical
May 19, 2010
US
I have an angled surface that I want to have a logo placed on.

Apparently the idea is to cast the part, powder coat it, and then grind off the powder coat on the logo to have the metal color shine thru.

However, I'm having trouble placing a draft on the logo.

I've put the logo on the surface of the 45deg angled part. then I created a datum that is offset from the base (normal to the pull direction) and extruded the logo .060 up. this created the logo, however, when I try to draft the sides, proe fights me.

I've tried using blends, but the logo looks funky. I then tried rounds, chamfers, but I can' t get anything that looks satisfactory. I don't understand why I can't just do a normal draft on it.

anyone got any advice?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

nevermind - figured it out.

I wasn't grabbing the full surfaces, and when I did, I grabbed all of the logo, not just one chain. If i do it in several steps, I can get the logo drafted.

Engrnick, congrats on figuring it out. Another way to perform this would be to create a sketch and then offset with draft. It is the same amount of steps but this way you dont have to worry about not selecting all of the surfaces.

I have had to do the same numerous times, only on injection molded parts. I went a slightly different way, though. I created a protrusion to the slanted surface and then made a parallel cut a certain distance away from the slanted surface. That way you do not have to draft the logo much, if at all. Again, it all depends on the size of logo and material, but there is always more than one way to get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back