Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drafts from imported models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Putzola

Computer
Aug 25, 2009
ZA
Hey
I imported a .stl file into ST2 and saved it as .par but if I try and create a draft the views are all blank.
Is it possible to make a draft from a imported file?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it only surfaces? If so, go to Properties for the drawing view. In the Display tab, right click over the part and click "List All". If you see a Copy_Construction" click and and ensure is is set to Show.

In the display tab it is listed as a solid body with an icon of a box with a red exclamation mark next to it if that helps at all.

Unfortunately the .stl file is 18mb so I can't upload it.
The model was made in 3D max. Is there another format that I could try to export the model as?

I can't export from Max as a parasolid but I'm going to try to get a plugin to import 3DS files into SE and take it from there.
Thanks for the suggestions bmlkidd.

step is next best to parasolid, and iges after that. Not sure what 3D max can do but I'd be a bit surprised if it does stl but not step & iges.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Unfortunately since it is an stl import, it is facet data so ther is not much you can do with it in Solid Edge apart from view it. As such it is not going to let you create a drawing view of the part.

My advice would be to use an alternative export (as has already been suggested) from 3DS Max. It supports Iges so I would try that.

Jon Sutcliffe / Solid Mastermind
The Solid Edge Community. Video training sessions, best practice documents, process maps and interactive training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back