Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drag coefficient of this contraption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beej67

Civil/Environmental
May 13, 2009
US
Civil engineer needing advice - figured here was a reasonable place to get it.

Consider this product:

BLT_Anacostia.jpg

It's basically a floating trash scooper you anchor into a stream or river and it collects litter. I can calculate the design flow rates and velocities easily, but I need to know the drag force to tell the structural engineer how to design the anchors.

I can get plans of the product, but there's no budget for testing, so I need to come up with a conservative drag coefficient and calculate the drag force on the contraption. I foresee two possible approaches. 1) I make some assumptions about simple geometry and pull Cds from a table, or 2) I jump down the rabbit hole of computational fluid dynamics and try to model the thing in Solid Works or similar. The latter avenue seems burdensome.

Any advice?

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This will definitely be high speed drag. Velocities over 10 ft/sec, Reynolds numbers well into the fully turbulent flow regime. Remember, I'm a civil engineer, so I'm designing for peak floods, not daily flow. I don't have numbers from the manufacturer yet, but for the sake of argument lets presume Re > 4000.

My initial impression is that it will be almost entirely dominated by form drag, and my inclination is to just calculate the area facing the oncoming flow and treat the thing as a vertical plane, with a Cd around 2. Love to hear other opinions though.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Ah sorry I assumed that was a picture of typical conditions.

I'd have thought the mechanical overload drag when it collects a powerboat/tree or whatever would be the limit case.

If you really want to model it then look for a program called Michlet, which calculates the wave froming drag for symmetrical hull shapes.

However, that seems over the top. Cd=2 seems reasonable to me as well.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Sorry for not being clearer in the beginning. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give Michlet a look. Seems a little complicated, but probably no worse than HEC-1 or HEC-2.

I don't think Michlet would provide reliable results in this particular case. The thin-ship theory implemented in Michlet really only applies to vessels of high length-to-beam and length-to-displacement ratios, and without the large submerged transom.

@GregLocock: I'd also think that the overload case would be the limit case. However much force is required to anchor this thing in a current, it's going to be much higher when some large object comes its way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back