Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

drag coefficients for ellipse

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvkb

Civil/Environmental
Oct 13, 2004
GB
I am trying to assess fluid forces on an elliptical submerged structure and am having difficulty finding relevant drag and lift coefficients. Any ideas what they might be or where I can find out? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Greg

I think I mean a strut - its a cross beam of an offshore structure designed to support marine current turbines, and has a major axis dimension of 5m and a minor axis of 1m, and a total length of 30m.

Best not to use Cd, in that case. Assuming you can get enough fineness to prevent separation the usual approach is to use a surface area*skin friction coefficent.

Um, at which point I have to admit I don't know where to find /that/.

Well, here's a formula

R (lbf)=.0089*S (sq ft)*(V(knots))^1.825

Where S is the total surface area. .0089 is for a good surface, increase by 1/3 for a typical marine surface, and it could be anything up to .044

I hope you can find later figures than those, they were taken by Mr Froude!

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Hoerner - Fluid Dynamic Drag has the answer. Reynolds number must be considered. See my FAQ in the Aircraft Eng. Forum for details on getting the book. It takes a few weeks. If you need to know now, tell me Rn, c, and t of the section, and I can give you an estimate.

Steven Fahey, CET
"Simplicate, and add more lightness" - Bill Stout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back