Dragging points in 3d spline created sweep

Status
Not open for further replies.

don714

Mechanical
Jun 19, 2008
US
To all,
I believe this is my first post, so I hope I explain my problem correctly.
I am having problems in editing a sweep created with a circle and 3d spline. I can create spline and sweep the first time, it is a problem if I have to adjust spline (picture creating a cable). When I go to move control point or end point, it will only moves a short distance (like it is snapping to something). So in the end what I have to do is click and move a lot. I have turned off all snaps. What I have found as a work around is to delete the sweep feature then edit the spline as one would expect to then recreate the sweep feature. I am using Solidworks 2014 Sp5 on a Dell work station, with all up to date and correct drivers per Solidworks. I would really appreciate it if someone running 2014 could try to recreate problem to see if it is an isolated problem or I am doing something wrong. This was not a problem in Solidworks 2012 (skipped 2013). I know of two others (one a coworker) that have this same problem.

Thank you for your time
Don

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure what you're doing wrong, but you're doing something wrong.

Spline editing in SW can be touchy. SW has learned zero lessons from Creo and NX on this front.

If I have trouble moving spline points, I'll add constraints to limit point movement and ease things for the solver. Sometimes I constrain a pint to a temporary fixed line. Sometimes I add horizontal and vertical construction lines to use as handles, fixing one line and moving the other. Sometimes it's best to throw some dimensions down. Sometimes I roll back the model and create temporary geometry to anchor the difficult sketch geometry.

Thanks for the response,
We did not have any problems when using 2012. In fact cables created and edited with no problems now are a problem. We can work around the problem by deleting sweep then edit spline then recreate sweep. Did not have to do this in the past. I was hoping someone else could try to recreate this using 2014. I attached a simple sweep that if I go to edit 3d spline sketch I have to click and move not drag where ever I want, unless I delete sweep first. Tried to attach a sample file not sure if it work or not.
Thanks again
Don

Looks like attachment to not go thru.

Figured out how to add attachment, file now added

To all who may have read this post. Turned out to be "operator malfunction"
Solution is to turn off "Instant3D" while editing the 3d spline. I cannot take credit for solution, a person on the Solidworks forum, shed the light.

Thanks,
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back