Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drain Pipe Material for Animal Blood Contaminated Waste Water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavan Kumar

Chemical
Aug 27, 2019
CA
Hi All,

I am working on a project where I have select materials for the sewer drain pipes for animal ( mainly Cow) fat and blood processing facility. The fluid is water at 85 Deg C with animal blood in it. I wanted to request any references that I could use to make a recommendation for the material of construction for the gravity drain pipes. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Pavan Kumar

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did a project where plumbing for school laboratories that included blood had to be vulcathene. It is costly stuff so not sure if there is an alternative. Possibly rubber ring jointed concrete pipes, not sure if blood corrodes concrete, may need to ask the manufacturer

85 degr C is substantial temp. for gravity sewer. I will suggest you check your local market if available ,for cast iron pipe , vitrified clay pipe.

He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock..

Luke 6:48

Hi bimr,

bimr said:
There is nothing particulary corrosive about slaughterhouse wastewater. Recommend you use a non metallic like PVC.
Do you recommend Chlorinated PVC (C-PVC) for slaughter house waster water at 85 Deg C? even if it is intermittent.

Thanks and Regards,
Pavan Kumar

Hi PEDARRIN2

PEDARRIN2 said:
CPVC pipe is rated to about 193 C so you should be ok. Cast Iron would be better so check pricing.

Did you mean 93 C when you said 193 C correct?.

Thanks and Regards,
Pavan Kumar

Pavan,

Sorry, but I missed the temperature. Why is the fluid so hot?

I don't think CPVC will be available in the desired pipe sizes. A better product may be FRP.

Why don't you look into the use of Bondstrand pipe.

Bondstrand FRP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back