Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drainage Ditch Design (Upgrade of Existing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engimental

Civil/Environmental
Jan 25, 2024
CA
I am working on the design to enlarge an existing trapezoidal drainage ditch (to obtain greater capacity). The current alignment of the ditch is not straight and does not have even curves. Also, the longitudinal, transverse, and side slopes vary along its length. I am restricted to expanding one side of the ditch only.

What is the best way to set the alignment for this design? I am thinking along the bottom of slope for the side we cannot expand on, and then cut/fill back across the ditch and/or down to obtain a flat transverse slope and increase capacity.

Does anyone have thoughts?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Using the bottom of slope of the side you can't change for establishing the alignment makes sense to me.

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

Thank you for the affirmation and guidance. gbam, are you suggesting that following the existing (irregular) alignment could make construction challenging?

Just when you are laying out the control consider the field layout... I often hear the expletives from contractors in the field. If you have a logical control the surveyor can easily establish the field control.

Thanks.

"Today most funding for science comes through government. That means that you have to be known to be sympathetic to conclusions that are acceptable to the political classes" -Doug Casey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back