Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drainage pipe - Railroad Liveloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

qaztor

Civil/Environmental
Nov 11, 2002
US
I have already determined that the liveloads over a drainage pipe (part of bridge drainage) that crosses a railroad is approx. 19psi.

The pipe I want to use is a 6in. or 8in. PVC SDR18. This might be very simple but how do I determine if this pipe can withstand the load?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you sure that the RR will let you get by without using a steel sleeve to run the PVC pipe through?

there is a formula 'Spanglers' I think. Anyway it is in the ASTM F1216 for the deflection of a flexible pipe. Put your values in there and if deflection is over 5%, the pipe is in failure. Also like cub3bead stated, check with the railroad first. They usually have very strict ciriteria for pipes under tracks.

Richard A. Cornelius, P.E.

Thanks for your comments. The bridge where we are doing the improvements is actually a railroad bridge... no problems there.

Now, I also found that ASTM through various product standards has recommended a Maximum Allowable Deflection Limit of 7.5%.
To find the deflection and the loads imposed on the pipe at different depths, I downloaded from UNI-BELL.ORG the software:

"external load design for uni-bell flexible conduits."

Great tool to compare your hand made calculations.

I hope this helps

RC

Suggest you download AS 2566 Australian Standard for Buried Flexible Pipelines from It is moderate cost but is a world leader in such designs.

Books you may also consider are Buried Pipe Design by Moser or Structural Mechanics of Buried Pipelines. I am sure AWWA have similar design standards however AS 2566 is very comprehensive as a design standard and guide.

What you are looking at is a combined soil/pipe structure. Many railway organisations will insist on a sleeve. Beware if the railway is electrified stray currents could cause the failure of the steel inside 6 months. You may need to electrically isolated with a good coating.

The GAS Research Institute/Cornell University did a great deal of study. Their final report "Technical Summary and Database for Guidelines for Pipeline Crossings Railroads and Highways GRI-91/0285 is definitely worth the investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back