Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Draining The Cryogenic Cold Separator to the closed Drain Drum

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhylsta

Chemical
Jun 15, 2012
NG
Hello,

Please i need to be advised on draining the cold separator Vessel downstream of the a turbo expander in an LPG plant. I have been told that this is not a safe practice to drain into the closed drain system. What is proposed by design is to drain this vessel to the atmosphere. Please i need guidance.

Kind regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

why would you ever drain that vessel? If you needed it empty, open the dump valve and put the liquids into the demethanizer and let those liquids drain to where they normally go to.

I will bet that your safety advice was not to drain into a sewer system, closed or otherwise. Going to atmosphere seems even more crazy and dangerous.

Your "drain" needs to be a cryogenic pipe system going to somewhere reasonable- back to process (as decasto suggests), or to a dry flare drum, etc.

best wishes,
sshep

Thanks gentlemen, The drain line to the closed drain has been removed. Any situation that will require draining that leg will require a total process shutdown and the vessel can drain into the de-ethaniser tower where it normally feeds. decasto and sshep thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back