Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

drawing callout for UT inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmoose

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2003
US
We have a detail drawing of a 300 lb ductile iron part from the the early 2000s.

Some UT inspection is specified on the drawing and a quality requirement document.
Please see the attached image.

We are working around the lack of acceptance criteria.

A question remains about the proper interpretation of the UT callout on the drawing. My hunch is "this area" refers to running the transducer along the as-cast top surface of the part.
How would/should UT professionals interpret the UT callout?

thanks,

Dan T

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b76a4145-f0ea-4606-972a-42e95bf2c38e&file=ut_test_on_drawing_-_plus.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From the drawing I would assume the marked surface as being the area of interest. However as a UT tech I would need a lot more information (equipment requirements, probe angle, ect...) which may be contained in the DIN spec stated at the bottom (this also very likely contains your acceptance criteria).

"My hunch is "this area" refers to running the transducer along the as-cast top surface of the part."

I agree with your observation. But does the drawing tell you more about acceptance standards for the part.

"Even,if you are a minority of one, truth is the truth."

Mahatma Gandhi.

The OEM ancient quality document (AQD) I provided simply references DIN EN 12680.

internet searches indicate the more modern 12680s have suffixes to identify different documents for different materials.

12680-1:2003. Part 1: Steel castings for general purposes.
Part 2: Steel castings for highly stressed components;
Part 3: Spheroidal graphite cast iron castings;

The fairly recent version of 12680-1:2003 (steel) that I think we mis-used has Table 1 which does have 5 severity levels, but I don't see that that the AQD specifies what severity level it wishes to apply.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0720df7c-1138-4ad1-a0e1-827cc9ab3d63&file=ut_test_on_drawing_-_plus_V2.png
There is a great deal of information missing from this. Type of cast material, grain structure (course or refined), inspection method required (Longitudinal or Shear), etc...
If you only have the base specification and not the acceptance severity level, then you should inspect to the most critical criteria until the customer provides direction to the contrary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back