Drawing File Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

bot1357

Electrical
Mar 31, 2003
GB
Guys,

I have searched this forum and done all of the things required to reduce my file size. I was hoping someone could possible help me to get the file size even smaller.

The issue I have is of download time, the GA that includes our design overlaid onto it is at the moment 8Meg. This GA gets uploaded onto a system that certain shipyards have access to. Once they come to build a certain part of this ship they need to download the relevant drawings. Now this system is not very good at handling big file size downloads. I was wondering if there was anyway of taking a snapshot of the GA with the least amount of background data on there. There are 95970 entities on this particular GA, is there anyway to decrease without losing any of the GA detail.

Regards
Danny

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your drawing data can be put into DWG format, you can compress the files with the free 7z archiver and zip the files as a 7z archive. Just make sure to select 7z format when zipping the files and select maximum compression. The reduction in the size of the zipped DWG files is dramatic. An 8MG file would be reduced to a very small size.

I use this method for emailing zipped DWG files and it works great and saves time.

"done all of the things required to reduce my file size"
what did you do and did it help much?

9"5970 entities" - what kind?
I assume you're using blocks for repetititve type symbols.
-deleted all layer filters
-puged everything, as well as registered applications (with the "-purge" command).

with high speed internet, flash drives, removable disk drives, CDROM's - it seems that upgrading your drawing storage and transfer procedures to more modern technology would be a better option than trying to shrink your drawings down a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back