Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawing Layers are Driving me CRAZY!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundevil98

Mechanical
Apr 5, 2001
US
Can anyone help me out here with some drawing layer problems???

I'm working on a relatively small assembly (10 or so components). There are 4 parts that I've recieved from a customer. In these parts the layers are totally whacked. The rest are my parts with layers that make sense (at least to me).

I'm not having any problems controlling the layers in the part or assembly modes, but things are all screwed up in the drawing!!!

I've got one sheet with a general view and a few projections off to each side. I'm trying to blank out all of the surface layers because there are a lot of surfaces that are cluttering up the screen.

I've set the active object in the layers menu to "The Drawing", "Drawing View", "Top Level Assy", and "Part" and have blanked all the layers (including all of the layers that have surfaces in them).

Everything's fine for the projected views (i.e. the layers are blanked)... But in the general view, I can STILL see the surfaces!!!

What's going on here? I've tried refreshing the screen, regenerating, etc. and nothing helps.

I even created a new layer "all_surfs" and added all the quilts to that layer and blanked it as well.... Still, it's not helping.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Never mind.... I seem to have figured it out...

I guess the layers weren't set on the main view after all...

However, shouldn't the Drawing layer settings override individual view layer settings?

Sometime is better just to delete all the layers from drawings and parts received from customers, and create your own. Some people like to have hundreds of layers, and you need plenty of time just to figure out what are those layers for.

im4cad
Pro Design Services, Inc.

sundevil98,

As for your second question, I believe once you select Drawing View as your Layer level, it becomes independent of the Drawing (I guess that is the purpose of having a pick for it!)...

Answer to the second question --> same as noppenbd. The View's layer overrides the drawing's layer setting.
This is the main reason why I will avoid using View layer settings at all costs. They can waste your time when trying to figure out the layer settings of a drawing.

I have helped many persons at my company with this very same issue. My suggestions is not to use View layer settings -- only as a last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back