Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawing Symbols for Bonding/Adhesive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanekPop

Mechanical
Apr 23, 2003
GB
Could anyone tell me if there are Drawing Symbol standards for bonding/gluing etc., as there are for Welding and brazing. We often produce assembly drawings which require parts to be bonded or semi-permanently locked together by adhesives such as super glue, Loctite, etc.

It would be useful to know the [BS?] drawing symbols to suit these requirements, if they exist yet.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't believe that any exist.

Bonding is more complicated that simply spreading some glue and clamping the parts together. Meticulous attention to surface preparation is required. I generally identify bonded surfaces with a leader to a note on the drawing. The note in turn references a procedure or work instruction for the entire bonding process, including surface preparation, how much adhesive to use, and where, temperatue and time limits if appropirate, etc.

We actually use welding symbols to dictate bonded joints. In the flag area (the part at the very end of the symbol where notes are placed), we attach the balloon callout for the correct item number for the adhesive in our parts list.

The weld symbols work for us because it helps clarify if the joint is butted together, there will be some leftover fillet on a joint, or if there needs to be extra fill or excess build-up of adhesive.

We also have standard abbreviations (company or industry standard, I don't know) that dictates how the adhesive is to be applied. Those abbreviations also appear in the "notes" area of the weld symbol. If a more detailed explanation is required, we just write a flag not.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

Detailed Work Instructions are the way to go to ensure accurately applied and properly bonded items.

We use a flag note to call areas that are to be bonded, in the general notes the flag note refers to a specific work instruction that we have developed in-house, based on the manufacturer recommendations for their adhesive product.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back