Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawing Templates 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz18983

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2003
GB
I am an AutoCAD user, but have been modelling in Solidworks for a while now. I'm wanting to start using the Drawing side of solidworks but first i need to set up company drawing templates/sheets.

I have company drawing templates for AutoCAD? Is it possible to transfer these to Solidworks? If so how easy?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi
Yes you can. Open your dwg files in SW (import it as drawing not sketch). Do what you want to do with it. When it is finished save it as a template.

Hope this help

##################################
Stef
SW 2006 SP4.1 Win XP Pro SP2
##################################

You have to be sure that when you are changing the text of the sheet its on the Edit Sheet side. SW has 2 sides to its drawings. One side is where you can see the Titleblock, but can't change it, but can see the model and add dims etc... to the model. The other side of the drawings is where you RMB and click "Edit Sheet". This is where you can't edit or add Dims to the model, and only edit the sheet.

The sheet will show up in blue when you RMB and click "edit sheet" If it turns grey when you edit the sheet its on the wrong side of drawing. YOu can simply Window select the titleblock and cut and paste it on the other side.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Scott,

What do you mean "on the wrong side of the drawing"? I didn't think you could draw on the back side of the sheet. When I edit the format (SW 2005), everything that is not completely constrained turns blue, and anything constrained by fixing or dimensioning turns grey. If you are on "the wrong side of the sheet" does the print appear backwards? If I can access the back side of the sheet, this raises a lot of possibilities such as putting contractual notes on the back of the printed drawing. How do I deliberatly access the back side?

Timelord

Like I explained above - there are 2 sides (not physical sides) just that you have one when the Titleblock is grayed out you can't change anything on the titleblock but can add Dimensions etc... to the model. RMB the sheet and click Edit sheet, now the model disappears and you can edit the Titleblock.

Sides of the drawings were not meant to be taken literally.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

"Face" may be a better descriptor than "side".

One "face" is when in the Edit Sheet Format mode, and the other "face" is when in the actual drawing views mode.

When in the actual drawing view mode, the Sheet Format could be considered to be in the background ... like a separate layer.

[cheers]

ALso, check the lines of the dwg geometry. Sometimes importing will break/add lines. I always do a clean-up before I finish created the formats.
thread559-160173
thread559-152480
thread559-150013
faq559-1009

Chris
SolidWorks 06 5.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-27-06)

By the time you "clean up" your AutoCAD mess... you'll have been better off to just draw your sheet format from scratch. I've never been happy with results importing AutoCAD to SolidWorks. If it's complicated - it's a huge mess. If it's simple - it ain't worth my time to import it.

Windows XP / Wireless Intellimouse Explorer
SolidWorks 2007 SP1.0 / SpaceBall 5000
Lava Lamp
www.Tate3d.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back