Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawing View - Wrong Configuration/State

Status
Not open for further replies.

htjames

Mechanical
Jan 28, 2013
US
This is a part of our design automation project. The files are generated and when first opened, should show the correct views depending on what configuration they are set to show as.

I have a part that has a configuration with a notch on the ends and another configuration without notches.

* I open the drawing and the drawing view shows the part with the notches on the ends. I need the drawing to show the part without notches. The drawing view itself has the configuration set correctly upon opening the file, however, it shows the alternate configuration. Rebuilding the drawing (CTRL+Q) as soon as I open the drawing does nothing. PICTURE ATTACHED (1)
* Clicking on the part itself shows a green outline of the part, the way it is supposed to be shown (without notches). PICTURE ATTACHED (2)
* Changing configurations works correctly and shows the part with notches. Changing the configuration back to the original configuration displays the correct part (without notches). PICTURE ATTACHED (3)

I figure this is a problem with SolidWorks and not a part of our design automation, although the automation program is what changes the designated configuration that the drawing view is set at, but if SolidWorks refreshed its drawings correctly, this problem should not be an issue.

Any ideas on solving, mitigating, or working around this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Message was edited by: James Han
had the pictures in the wrong order.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like the problem is in the view, not the part. You are aware that you can select which configuration is shown in a view, right? I didn't see that in your explanation above. Look in the view property manager.

I have tried changing configurations and it works correctly. That was one of the first things I tried to find out what the issue was but it does not solve my issue.

htjames said:
* I open the drawing and the drawing view shows the part with the notches on the ends. I need the drawing to show the part without notches. The drawing view itself has the configuration set correctly upon opening the file, however, it shows the alternate configuration. Rebuilding the drawing (CTRL+Q) as soon as I open the drawing does nothing. PICTURE ATTACHED (1)
* Clicking on the part itself shows a green outline of the part, the way it is supposed to be shown (without notches). PICTURE ATTACHED (2)
* Changing configurations works correctly and shows the part with notches. Changing the configuration back to the original configuration displays the correct part (without notches). PICTURE ATTACHED (3)

Changing from default to another config shows the configuration i am switching to correctly (with notches).
Then changing back from that 2nd config to the default shows the original config (without notches) correctly. PICTURE ATTACHED (3)
The problem lies in when I open the drawing file and the config is supposed to show the default config (without notches) but it shows the part with notches. PICTURE ATTACHED (1)

The problem is not with the part, the problem is with the view or the general drawing itself, since the part displays all configurations correctly when opened. Most likely, from what I can gather, I feel the problem lies within refreshing drawings correctly/effectively.

Any other suggestions or personal experiences?

It's a bit odd. My first inclination is that it's a graphic issue, especially where you can hover over the view and the correct outline shows up. Without trying to be annoying, what graphics card and driver are you using?

Jeff Mirisola
My Blog

hmmm. I kind of doubt that its a problem with the card or driver, but its a possibility.

Graphics Card:
Quadro FX 4800
Driver:

Thanks for stopping by.

The driver name you listed is too short. If you using SW2012 with XP64, your driver should be 6.14.12.7071.
If you're using Win7 with SW2012 or 2013, your driver should be 8.17.12.7071. That's info just based off of the card. If you're using a branded system (Dell, Lenovo, etc) then you could very well need a different driver. Go to and input your system specs to get the correct driver. And, yes, the incorrect driver can cause problems.

Jeff Mirisola
My Blog

Not sure I can do that.
Cannot really duplicate the problem atm either.
I tried to trim the parts and drawings down to just the problem areas but when I do that, the problem disappears.

htjames said:
I tried to trim the parts and drawings down to just the problem areas but when I do that, the problem disappears.

So the problem is "obviously" (or maybe not) caused by something in the model or the method of it's creation.
Are you able to pinpoint the problem feature?

The problem feature is the notching at the end of the parts.
That notching is governed by one feature being suppressed and unsuppressed.

I managed to edit the files in a bunch of places while maintaining the error.
I was able to edit all feature names, all planes' names that are in-use, all custom properties, etc.

Curiously,
I "lose" the error when editing the part file's un-used planes.
I have a set of maybe 15 reference planes that I have put into a folder and is there for future use (they are currently not being used at all and are just hanging around with zero significant ties to anything in the file).
They are currently unsuppressed and when I suppress any one of them, the error disappears on the Drawing file.

Any thoughts????
Weird behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back