Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawings have slowed to near halt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tap90291

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2002
US
I need some straight advice. I have some drawing files that we have been trying to make some edits to and cannot get the drawing to complete the resolve from draft mode to high quality. Times taking greater than 30 minutes, and then the alternate position views are not correct. Files are local and in one folder, 1 gig of ram, 2.4 ghz xeon, quadro fx300 256 mb video cards, 60 mb dwg file. Assy 2600 components, 450-500 unique parts, top level mates 65. What does it take to run this size assy and dwg. IT tells me not to expect new machines, but we may not have any choice.
We have lost two days trying to show some alternate position views. We are desperate.

Thanks TAP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is your Virtual Memory set at an appropriate level (say Min 1GB, Max 2GB)?

Is your computers System Properties set to Best Performance?

Do any of your parts have a large number of holes in them?

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[bugeyed] I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose [shocked]

Do you have the same problem when opening the assembly model file?

Also I repeat the questions asked in your original thread559-105476 :-

Are you running an anti-virus with "auto-protect" enabled? If so try disabling it temporarily to see if performance increases.

In the assemblies which take a long time to open, have all the parts & sub-assemblies been previously converted to your current version of SW?

Are your Tools > Options > Performance & Image Quality set appropriately? (ie: for faster performance)

What version of SW & SP are you using? Is it the download version of SW2005?

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[bugeyed] I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose [shocked]

I have worked through most all the suggestions above and have made changes to the settings as noted with out real improvement. I burned all files to a cd and ran them on my home machine, 2.53 ghz 533 fsb 512 ram, 128 mb nvidia game card. The Assys opened much faster, and the drawings were both created much faster, regenerated faster. I was having a problem with alternate position views not showing all of the configuration changes in the drawings created at work, no problem at home.

It seems to be a hardware problem at work, even with fresh images and clean installs we just seem to be under powered. I have watched the performance tab in task manager, and we don't seem to be going into virtual memory. Does a dual processor machine divide the ram between processors or can it pull as much as there is available? Second a good deal of the time after I drive the affinity for sw to one processor we do see the cpu dedicated to sw often peg for minutes at a time.

We did try the anti virus on and off and could tell no difference.

All files are local, and in one folder. I am looking at replacing all fasteners with hard parts.

One prominent part is a large shelled out joined part (about 20-25 parts in the subassy that the join is derived from).

Any suggestions?
Sorry to keep banging away on this but we are just about shutdown dure to this issue. I have lost somewhere between 350 and 900 manhours of production on this!

TAP

THe problem with keeping your AV on when installing is that SW doesn't over write all files and this can and will cause you problems later. Hopefully your last isntall was with the AV turned off.

Check your video card drivers. Also check mark "Use Software OpenGL" in your Tools\Options\System OPtions\Performance - IF that makes it run better then the problem is your video card.

If you don't like that test, try bringing your home video card to work and see if that improves the speed. If it does, then that's your problem.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back