Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

DRAWINGS IN THE WORKPLACE

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamboat601

Electrical
Oct 15, 2005
US
After 30 years of working on ships and boats and drilling rigs I am working on land as a maintenance electronic tech. Drawings are required on marine platforms. It is called a "construction porfolio." Through annual regulatory body surveys these portfolios can be and often are kept updated.

The plant I work in has NO certified drawings of power distribution, little on in-house manufactured control consoles and some "listed" stand-alone systems.

The plant is in Mississippi.

Is this allowed?

Is there a staute, code or CFR that requires these drawings? If there is I haven't found it.

Is anyone able to quote a chapter and verse to look at or does anyone have a link?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OSHA requires up-to-date electrical one-line diagrams. I don't have a specific reference handy.

Also NFPA-70E requires one-lines be maintained, but this is not a legal requirement - NFPA-70E is a consensus standard.

Searching for test looking for "power" and for "distribution" I find little. Perhaps you may imply a requirement if you study 29 CFR 1910 38 OSHA Means of Egress.

For refinery, chemical or fuel sites that fall within 29 CFR 1919.119 there are other electrical control topics sited:
1910.119(d)(3)(i)(C)
Electrical classification;

1910.119(d)(3)(i)(E)
Ventilation system design;

1910.119(d)(3)(i)(F)
Design codes and standards employed;

1910.119(d)(3)(i)(H)
Safety systems (e.g. interlocks, detection or suppression systems).
1910.119(e)(3)(iii)
Engineering and administrative controls applicable to the hazards and their interrelationships such as appropriate application of detection methodologies to provide early warning of releases. (Acceptable detection methods might include process monitoring and control instrumentation with alarms, and detection hardware such as hydrocarbon sensors.);
..1910.119(e)(3)(iv)
1910.119(e)(3)(iv)
Consequences of failure of engineering and administrative controls;
1910.119(f)(1)(i)(D)
Emergency shutdown including the conditions under which emergency shutdown is required, and the assignment of shutdown responsibility to qualified operators to ensure that emergency shutdown is executed in a safe and timely manner.

John

I think Title 18 CFR (Conservation of Power and Water Resources) may cover what you are looking for. I believe the requirements fall under Preservation of record... and are not very specific. Your particular concern may fall under Engineering records.

Index

Preservation of records of natural gas companies

Preservation of records for oil pipeline companies

I need to correct my earlier statement - OSHA does NOT specifically require electrical drawing maintenance according to "Electrical Safety in the Workplace" by Ray Jones.

OSHA does require labeling identifying the source of power or disconnecting means for all equipment.

NFPA 70E does require up-to-date one-line diagrams.

OSHA has stated that they are going to be citing NFPA 70E while doing their inspections. It is a good idea to have someone do your one line diagrams and also do your arc flash hazard evaluations for your control panels and disconnects. 70E is a nightmare for smaller companies to continue their operations without getting cited multiple times by OSHA and their incorporation by reference.

It will likely be years before the proposed OSHA rule changes become effective.

The OP question was just on drawings. NFPA-70E does require up-to-date one-line diagrams. I suspect that, after an accident, OSHA would probably issue a citation if lack of electrical drawings in any way contributed to the accident. Their "General Duty" clause would probably stretch at least that far, especially since it is in NFPA-70E, which would likely make it the "standard of care".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back