Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawings view with Broken links - several methods tried, need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

texaspete

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2002
US
Hi all, I just came back from CATIA V5 advance part modeling and data management. I have a problem. I have drawings with views that have broken links. I use the "edit link" and try to "replace" with new file. I have tried the "applied links to" and that doesn't work. The error message reads "Document refused".
Is there another way config CATIA to not remember the complete file path ex. W:\FORD\data\part1.CATPart.
My customers rename the file "using the rename" in the "open file" menu in CATIA. NOTE we do not use windows explorer. Example 1234_mdl_0199.catpart would change to 1234_mdl_0299 for next release. The file name "Saved AS" when the assembly is beginning work on. The the drawings and catpart is sent to me for detailing. Can anyone help me fix the "Document refused" problem. OH, I even tried renaming the new file back to the old name and still the drawing refuses the link.
thanks TExaspete

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One thing that we have found: Re-link the view to the new document BEFORE you try editing anything in that document.

It also helps to have the drawing loaded when you do the SAVE AS of the part or product (not always possible, however).

The only way that I know of to recover from a "Document refused the link" is by VB Script - and this method isolates all of your dimensions and text.

I've got the same type of problems :
- I've created lot of views using the new function "Modify links" (right button on view/view/modify links). It's working very well.
- I did some minor changes to my assemblies
- I've got some "broken view". If I try to modify links, it says "The selected views contain one or several broken links. You will have to remove these links before performing any other operation". Which means basically to start from scratch the definition of the projected elements.
- If I try to "links" edition. All the column "to element" is shown as "-" for the broken links. I can't then make the difference between them...

I think it's because I've used the view "Modify links" to some COMPONENT... (rather than part or product)
I don't know what to do now.

Yes exactly.

But it could be painfull if you had selected a lot of parts...
Is seems better to carry on using the scenes to create views. (rather than "view modify links" only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back