Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dressing for a second interview 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwchick

Civil/Environmental
Mar 23, 2005
US

I have just been informed that I will be invited to a second interview and tour the facility (a lot of walking). What is the appropriate dress for a second interview? Should I wear my same interview suit? What is the purpose of a second interview? This is new to me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I wear same dress(because you are already half lucky) if there is a gap of say two weeks. It is too long a time to remember a dress unless it is too gaudy.

Second interview may be for familiarization of your person than your technical expertise. Somebody higher up may like to speak to you. This will generally happen after site tour and you may be asked some opinions about them. Always start with some good things and then point out the drawbacks.

Good luck,

wwchick...2nd interviews are relatively common, particularly if the firm is somewhat large. As quark said, maybe someone a bit higher on the food chain wants to talk with you. I'm assuming by your "handle" and your post that you're a female.

The same category of dress is appropriate (professional) unless they tell you to dress specifically for something, such as boots and hardhat. If it involves a lot of walking as you noted, comfortable shoes would be appropriate (maybe flats instead of heels), but certainly not sneakers at this point.

For women seeking professional positions, a professional, tasteful suit is appropriate, or if it is warm, maybe skirt and shirt-type blouse. Those both say "business", whereas a dress tends to start more onto the personal/casual side. You can also check with their HR staff to see if they actually have a dress code. If so, go with that. As for pants...they're safe, but in my opinion convey less confidence.

...but then, I'm just a guy!...though I've interviewed lots of professionals, male and female.

Be relaxed. Be confident. Good luck.

A preceding interview means that you passed the first interview and the hiring person wants to hire you.

The hiring person probably has to get a sign-off from his boss who may or may not have been out of the office on your first interview.

Treat it the second interview the same as the first. I doubt that they will take you out and mess up your clothes.

I would call the HR person and check that your suit will be the correct attire for the plant. I'd also pack boots, jeans and a t-shirt in the car so that you're prepared. They may decide not to hire you if you show up in a skirt and heels and you need to climb a ladder and walk on uneven ground; they may be expecting you to know what to expect at the facility, or it may be an oversight on their part not warning you of appropriate attire.

What were they wearing at your interview? Often at a second interview they've shortlisted a couple people and they're trying to see who is the best fit. If they were in jeans and polo shirts I'd dress down a notch -- maybe slacks and a shirt. You want to look like you've made an effort, but don't be Wall Street if they're Jethro Bodine.

Congrats on a second interview - thats usually a good sign.

Your first interview outfit should be just fine. If you think it would be more comfy (and yet still professional) you could wear slacks. I work in civil, and I see most women interviewing in and wearing slacks. It usually pays to be dressy than to not look professional.

2nd interview probably means they short listed you. The narrowed down the bulk applicants to a select few.
Stress all your strong points again at this interview.
Usually they would be taking you inside the work area to show you more of what you are doing. I have dressy safety shoes i wear and I always dress casual.

I have never been through a 2nd interview and NOT recieved an offer - somehow, already typed up and signed - at the end of it. I would say you are 90+% in.

I agree w/ francesca. Have work cloths in the car, to show you are prepared. But definitely dress professionally.

What follows is IMHO, and I am a male, for what that is worth. If you are applying for a position of authority, pants portray authority. If you are to be more technical or design, a skirt may look more "human" (is that the word I'm looking for?). This will put you in a better light with co-workers, who are probably having input, although that has probably already happened. Never a dress, too casual.

Engineering is the practice of the art of science - Steve

I interview the same person twice because sometimes the applicant is on their best behavior kind of like a "first date." A lot of time, I like to meet them at Starbucks and talk non-work related so I know where they are coming from. i don't want anyone in my office that talks like a sailor or thinks like a bigot. I also like to communicate by email or instant messenger to determine their writing style and command of the language.

Some people totally collapse on the second interview.

I agree with those who say the 1st interview suit should be fine (you're working for men and men don't remember clothes), but also with the person who said to call up & find out exactly what environment the tour will be in.

These threads had some great discussion of plant-friendly women's businesswear:
thread731-93588
thread731-111099
(I can't believe that was 2 years ago!)

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

NO DON'T WEAR THE SAME SUIT! It will make you look like you only have one set of good clothes. I really don't pay much attention to styles when I interview, but I like to see something that is fairly new ie. not showing signs of distress, and looks like it all goes together. Two reasons. One if you can't bother to dress for the interview then I feel the job is not that important to you. Second, if I hire you, you will projecting my company image at meetings, etc. Do you look professional? Can you look like someone who is put together and has it under control, giving the client a feeling of confidence? Thats what I look at.
If it is a lot of walking, you may want to think about shoes and pants. You want to be able to focus on conversation, not trying to keep up in heels or worrying about your skirt. And for goodness sake, if the plant tour may be messy, Dont bring jeans & a tee shirt - bring a pair of clean (not necissarily new, possibly borrowed, but washed)coveralls and a pair of boots. Leave them in the car. If the tour sounds like it may be needed, tell your host you have them and ask if you should get them.
Good Luck on the Second Interview and let us know how you make out.

Second interview, and "facility" tour.

For those on this forum, we don't know what the "facility" is; I assume you do.

With specifics lacking, I would suspect that a "tour" of the facility would not involve actually getting "your hands dirty". I toured a facility in PA about two years ago, not as a candidate, but as part of trying to develop joint business. Two of us (both males) were given a guided tour, a chance to see, a chance to ask questions, and also a chance to see what we had to offer. Anything "special" such as safety googles, and a hard hat in one area, were available and provided. I suspect this will be true in your case, but you know better than us.

That said, I wouldn't wear the identical outfit/suit, some of us male-chauvinsts actually do remember what one wears, and you don't want to possibly give a negative impression.

Unless you expect a lot of ladders or stairs (as on a ship, for example), I would stay with a skirt type outfit, but I would also avoid tall heels (I recall a "dependent's cruise" on my ship many years ago, where my wife and I were both amused by the number of women in short skirts and high heels - they had troube that day).

Why not use the opportunity to get your lines of communications well established? Simply call the person who asked you to come back for the second interview and ask what attire would be appropriate for the tour.

ctm has the best advise yet. And while you are at it, why not just casually say, "Oh, since this is my second interview, should I just dress for the tour, or will this include a formal, sit-down interview"?

At this point you are pretty well in, and - if it were me interviewing you - I would probably not even care what you wore. I'd be more impressed with your motivation and initiative.

Engineering is the practice of the art of science - Steve

I would think wearing the same suit again would be appropriate, but with a distinctly different shirt/blouse/t-shirt or whatever underneath to show you do own more than one set of smart clothes in case anyone notices. But then again, I only possess trouser suits - I'm fine in a skirt and blouse but add a jacket and suddenly I become all prim and proper and too lady-like to ever be taken seriously by guys out on site.

I would think that trousers are far more professional for a tour of the facility than a skirt would be. (Especially if we have all jumped to the wrong conclusion and you're not female!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back