Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DRILL BIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

UGMENTALCASE

Aerospace
Oct 10, 2011
GB
Hi all, i'm new in this section, so forgive me if this has already been posted, or i'm in completely the wrong place.

I'm after modelling a drill bit up including flute and everything. Are the any instructions to do this? Had a bit of a play with it but can't seem to acheive what i want. Been on Uniographics too long! Can't remember where everything is!!!!

Cheers in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi UGMENTALCASE,

Well, creating a drill bit will be a challenge. I am a manufacturing engineer and I know that the working end of the drill has (extremely) complex geometry. That being said, the first thing you should do is getting precise drawings of the geometry of that drill.

When modeling in CATIA you can create points, lines and planes that will be crucial for the model and those elements will have ("strange") angles when viewed normally (perpendicular) and to accomplish such thing you will have to isolate (for example) a line and after that give it constrains regarding planes you are interested in. I think that using the isolation of some features (lines especially) will be crucial at some point.

After those important points, lines, and planes are created you can really start modeling the drill using simple part features. I would also recommend constructing the main body with the help of Boolean operations.

Hope this helps,
Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back