Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drilled Shaft Acceptance

Status
Not open for further replies.

geodoc

Geotechnical
Feb 20, 2003
US
A drilled shaft is installed with a rock socket. An Osterberg load cell is placed at the bottom of a production shaft for testing. The test is performed until "failure" of the side shear resistance is observed. However, an acceptable resistance (i.e., twice the design load) is achieved at an acceptable lower movement of the drilled shaft. The acceptable resistance includes both side friction and end bearing. Here is my question: Can this drilled shaft be accepted?

Does anyone know of any real data where a drilled shaft was cycled? I have some information regarding this but there must be more information available since it would be so easy to do in the field.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm a bit mystified by your question, Can this drilled shaft be accepted?

Do you mean, "Is the design of this pier acceptable?" - or - "Can this pier be used as a production foundation?" Please give us more information on the load test results, and your design criteria as well.

[pacman]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back