Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drilled Shafts - Cleanout of shaft before start of rock socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMackNH

Civil/Environmental
Dec 9, 2016
US
I am reviewing an installation plan for a number of drilled shafts. These are dry-cased, end-bearing shafts anchored in bedrock. The procedure states that once the bedrock is reached, the shaft needs to be cleaned out before the rock socket is drilled. Is this done just to verify top of rock or are there other reasons for it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are relying on the bond between the concrete and bedrock, it should be cleaned to maintain the integrity of the bond. If the shaft is mechanically anchored to the bedrock w/ dowels (i.e. not relying on the bond)than there is no reason to clean it. Understanding of course that we are talking about a minimum amount of soil/debris and not a heap of debris sitting at the bottom of the shaft.

Judging from the designs, it is mechanically anchored. Good to know about the cleanliness. I always try to put together a 'which battles to pick' assessment before these types of projects. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back