Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drilling into Precast Concrete Box Culvert 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

structeng24

Structural
Sep 27, 2010
US
Hello,
A contractor wants to drill into a new precast box culvert for forming the cast in place headwalls. He would fill them with grout after. Is this generally acceptable practice?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did the contractor promise you that he would not hit any rebar while drilling?

I have seen small holes drilled into boxes and RCP many times. It should be fine, depending on the hole size, spacing, and edge distance. Call your pipe supplier for better details, they run into this all the time. Make sure they follow the directions for the grouting, especially cleaning if they don't get around to grouting right away.

The promise not to hit/cut rebar works great until the guy with the drill hits the rebar. He won't be the same guy who made the promise.

Thanks everyone. They made all of the standard promises. I'll see if he has an alternative method, although I assume he asked because he did not have a good alternative.

If you allow the drilling [and I would], then have someone there 100% of the time [and I would] to make certain that if he hits bar, he doesn't get out the diamond-tip bit and cut that bar.

Next time require inserts cast in the box for the contractor's forming and platform needs. Grout holes after work is complete. This is standard practice for precast beam construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back