Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Driver assistance tech effectiveness 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregLocock

Automotive
Apr 10, 2001
Orbiting a small yellow star

Vehicles equipped with both autonomous emergency braking and lane departure warning were 23% less likely to crash than those not equipped (hazard ratio
= 0.77; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.73-0.81), controlling for model year, vehicle size and body type. Autonomous emergency braking and lane departure warning generally occur together, making it difficult to tease apart their individual effects. Blind spot detection was associated with a 14% reduction in crashes after controlling for the presence of autonomous emergency braking and lane departure warning (HR =0.86; 95% CI, 0.744-0.99). Differences were observed by vehicle type and crash type. The combined effect of autonomous emergency braking and lane departure warning was greater in newer model vehicles: Equipped vehicles were 13% less likely to crash (HR =0.87; 95% CI, 0.79-0.95) among 2014 model year vehicles versus 34% less likely to crash (HR =0.66; 95% CI, 0.57-0.77) among 2017 model year vehicles.

This is a good study (statistically) and seems to show that the blind spot warning (which I like), automatic emergency braking (which I am meh about) and lane departure warning, which I use for giggles are effective.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Seems like the main benefit of lane departure and emergency braking is actually discovering that the driver has not been paying attention for a while, perhaps as long as a full minute of non-mindful operation.

I've been waiting for a scheme that would watch the driver and ensure they are actively looking around them as they drive and not down at a cell phone or fixated with some other item - the classic rubber-necking crash cause. This would also catch sleepy driving, drunk driving, and medical problems. We'll see what privacy concerns that people will claim if that isn't simply real-time processed, but is retained for the few minutes before a crash is detected.

Here in snow country, sometimes lanes are not 'created' by painted lines or shoulder markers, but by the ice & snow drifts produced by drivers either distracted, lost, blind, or careless. My lane keeping truck will follow these drifts instead of proper pavement delineations. Same for my Garmin Nav system.

The other objection i have to Lane Keeping is that corrections often hint at an ice covered surface because the steering wheel 'feels' different (reduction in effort), and it feels just like the loss of traction on an ice covered road. Sometimes, wet, too.

Sure it's switchable on and off, but if I need to jump over the seat into the back storage area to fetch a beer, it comes in handy !

I agree the lane keeping is imperfect on the wife's Rav4 (gets confused by snowy or wet or unmarked roads), and often feels like slippery road surfaces when it tries to steer. I have not yet needed to turn it off, as I realized that she keeps the audio warning turned down - but it displays a visual warning as well, which I've learned to keep track of. My car just has the warning feature, which at a certain point in my commute, as I steer to avoid a particular pothole, it gets annoyed at me. As Greg said, for me it's mostly for giggles. Blind spot warnings are a bit more useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back