Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Driveshaft/planet gear splines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FOSSIE

Automotive
Jul 16, 2003
GB
Hi there, im new to this forum so please be patient with me! I am looking for some advice regarding driveshafts/splines from an ATLAS axle. This is the rear "live" type axle, I don't know how familiar you will be with these, they were standard in Ford capri's, transit vans etc etc over here in England.

Anyway, as standard, the half-shaft engages the planet gear via an involute spline, with 16 teeth and an outside diamter of about 27.5mm. For my application, i am using larger driveshafts (the axle is going in a rally car with considerably more torque than standard) and the new driveshaft has a larger spline - 18 teeth rather than 16, and a larger O.D - i think it is about 33mm approx. I dont have any more data regarding the spline at present. I beleive they were manufactured by ZF originally...

My question regards the planet gears... Obviously they need to have the new larger internal spline to match the new halfshaft. I understand this can be carried out using wire EDM. My local wire EDM company require a digital (i.e. AutoCAD, Solidworks etc) drawing of the new spline in order to cut it, which is quite understandable. But does anybody know where i can aquire such a drawing? I can use Autocad no problem, but i wouldnt be able to measure the spline accurately enough with my equipment.

So does anybody know if this spline is of a particular standard? if so where, if at all, can i find accurate drawings if it? Has anybody come across/had experience these gears before that could give me some more data about the splines?

Also, i have been told by one source that the planet gear is through hardened, while someone else suggested it will be case hardened (depth of about 0.035"). From experience, which is more likely? If it is only case hardened, then can it be "re-hardened" post machining?

Many thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back