Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DriveWorksXpress; Deleting unused configurations in new derived file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreuB1

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2010
US
I am having some problems here. I have a frame weldment part file with about 30 configurations which vary the width and height of a seed frame. Each iteration as a company part number so it can be purchased.

I am working on learning DriveWorksXpress to eventually control the main machine assembly which will call out, amont other things, the frame part number on the embeded BOM on the drw file of the machine. The frame for now is a learning and test bed before I pour more time into the main assembly.

The issue I am having is my inability to get DW to delete the unused configurations in the resulting part file that is generated for me. It results in a file of the same size as the seed frame file; approx 10-15megs. In "The Little Book of Rules" on page 58 it states that if you prefix a result with an asterisk * it will clear all unused configs for the resulting file. Sadly though I cannot get it to work for the life of me!!

The rule I wrote (works perfectly): =CONCATENATE(89,ConveyorBeltWidth ,IF( FlowDirection ="LEFT TO RIGHT" ,3201 ,3202 ),LEFT(ConveyorHeight ,2))

A sample frame configuration number: 8916320130

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Brian (SW2010 Premium x64 + EPDM)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

JM:

My config name does exactly match and calls up the proper config in the new part file. I want to though delete all the extra unused configs in the new file. According to the book you can preceed the configuration name syntax with an asterisk and that will force the deletion of all unused configs. It doesn't work though. It just tells me that it is an invalid statement in the rule builder.

I'm going to call me reseller today to see if I can get some help. I'm having issues with a few other things that I want to do but cannot figure out how.

The asterisk trick on 35/36 is to remove the original file name when it creates a new file instead of appending the old name and the new name.

It MIGHT be a Solo+ function though; you may be right there. I'll have to ask. The info out there on DriveWorks is so limited as far as Do's, Dont's and functionality its retarded. Really sucks too considering how unbelievabily amazing the software is.

One complaint is how night and day different Xpress and Solo are from eachother. Xpress is very easy to understand with limited training; Solo on the other hand is very confusing and complicated. I watched all 2hrs of videos they have available and I know whats going on now but its so easy to get lost.

Thanks for sharing the link. And by pointing to 35/36 page number, I mean to state that there is no option given for deleting configs with DriveWorksXpress

Deepak Gupta
SW 2009 SP4.1 & 2007 SP5.0
MathCAD 14.0
Boxer's Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back