Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drop-in transformer mounting method

Status
Not open for further replies.

okivrak

Electrical
Jul 3, 2002
TR
Hi everyone;

I need to learn how drop-in type switched mode transformers are being soldered in wave soldering process.

The specific application details are listed below:

* The application is slim product of lcd tv.
* Due to slim design, the power supply should also be slim !!
* The maximum component height on the pcb is 10mm.

Due to height limitation, the switched mode transformer should be mounted as drop-in style. This means you open the related area of the pcb and let transformer body to go inside the pcb area, so you would be able to use 12-13 mm of heigh for the component.

As using the wave soldering process, you should be able to prevent the transformer body to face the solder while passing through the wave soldering.

I think we should use a cap or something else to provide a mask for the open area of the pcb through which the transformer drops in.

I want to learn if there's a known method for this purpose.
Please see atached picture of one example.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I highly doubt any of those board are wave soldered. One transformer was definitely done by hand (the black one in the lower left-hand corner), and the other were on SMD boards and likely done with IR reflow.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

You're right about the left lower corner (black) one, it's hand made.
But the others are being wave soldered, not reflow.

I'm wondering that how the component body is protected from hot solder.

Thank you for your reply.

How do you know those others are being wave-soldered?

Wave soldering of SMD components is rarely done as the components get washed away with each wave... in rare cases, the components may be glued down before being sent to the wave machine. In mixed component cases, the SMD parts are IR-flowed and the remaining components (usually through-hole edge connectors, etc.) are soldered by hand.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

That is the perfect application for a selective soldering machine. And if its not hand soldered its done with the selective solder machine. Like a single point (or multipoint nozzle) mini-wave with an x-y-z cartesian type movement system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back