Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

dropping a Ford E-350 suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am a handicapped 220 pound person who drives a 400 pound powerchair and I need a big van to transport the powerchair. I want to knowif what I have been told is correct about the modifications necessary. I was told that I will need a $4000 commercial vertical lift which will project out one side of the van and be able to lift 620 pounds; furthermore, the only suspension addition I will need to prevent the van from tipping to the side of the extended lift would be 2 rear Roadmaster Active Suspensions. Is this true? What about the front steering suspension not needing any stiffer springs, helper springs, etc. to prevent tipping?
I wonder if the use of a less expensive mechanical ramp can be used like the ones on all the handicapped minivans which have suspensions that squat down before the short ramp is deployed. Are airbag suspensions available for a Ford Econoline van that are cheaper than the $4000 lift and $350 Active Suspension?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't imagine being able to do that job, reliably, as a one-off, much cheaper than $350, to be honest. You don't need to modify the front suspension because if the back is held level then the front is as well, since the body can't twist. Strictly speaking you might get away with one airspring on one side. Incidentally, you are not stopping the van from tipping over on its side, you'd have to use external legs to do that, what you are doing is preventing the body from rocking, which is not the same thing.

I agree that a ramp based system sounds cheaper and simpler, but I have no idea why one would be recommended rather than another.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back