Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dry Dock Keel & Lateral Blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookowski

Structural
Aug 29, 2010
US
Anyone have any experience designing blocks for large dry docks? I know that there's a marine eng forum but just checked it and there isn't much activity over there so figured I'd try here first. I am referring to concrete and timber blocks. The design seems fairly straightforward but I'm hoping to pick the brain of anyone with experience to see if I'm missing anything.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not directly, no, but why are you designing them? Have been giving loading? Or are you trying to determine a loading?

Contact pressures with the hull of the ship(s) to be supported need to be carefully considered. This is typically the job of a naval architect.

Why design anything? The basics are fairly simple. Every ship that comes in submits a very detailed docking plan - blocking points, min size of blocking, loading distribution along the ship, unbalanced loads etc. There are clear guidelines on standard sandwiches of material (softwood, hardwood, concrete layers) to encourage even bearing, etc. Those parts are all straightforward. Like most designs it's the details and what is typically done that I am hoping to get some info on. I'll try the marine forum if no one stumbles across this one.

bookowski said:
Why design anything?

Snarky, much? I was asking why you are designing them. Your past posting history doesn't exactly scream "I'm a naval architect."

If they gave you loadings and you have standards, I'm not sure what the question is. Design to those standards using the loading provided. Large masses of material in compression have a decent track record of working over the past several millennia, so I'm sure it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back