Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dryer exhaust booster fan allowed by code? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_187

Mechanical
Apr 21, 2018
US
There is a dryer exhaust vent, 4", where the length to the wall may be a little bit longer than what the instruction manual says is allowed. The dryer is commercial, see link page 8 for lengths.

The dryer vent fan used is this:
Is this dryer vent fan allowed by code? A contractor mentioned it might not be. I've never heard of this.

Thanks for the help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the dryer is electrically heated, then this situation may not be an issue with local and state codes. On the other hand if it is a gas fired drier then there is probably an issue such as: First is the fan rating rated for hazardous locations another word is it explosion proof in the event there is flame failure of natural or propane gas being exhausted? About wiring and switch are they compatible for hazardous location? Is the fan interlocked with drier operation?

Gas-fired equipment is inherently NOT explosion proof as there is always an ignition source. The safeties are on the gas supply. Here the issue is that the fan may disrupt the proper air flow to the burner. This is usually addressed by having an air gap between the equipment exhaust and and a powered vent. But, this does not answer the question about code requirements.

I would still require that the fan ass'y be rated for hazardous location in the event all safeties incorporated in the ignition source fail. I agree with you on the safeties of the ignition system but an the exhaust fan is something unusual for such set up. Obviously the exhaust air will be initially almost saturated with water vapor but that will diminished during the drying cycle and there could be a problem. A non sparking fan blade should also be use in that commercial system. My thoughts.

One other factor to consider, is that the booster fan be a type than can be easily cleaned, like a paddle fan, because of lint build up . On dryers it does not matter how good the lint screens are, some will always get through.
Some years ago when replacing the exhaust ducting on a bank of 10 dryers in a laundromat( Common Duct) we found the ducting to be 50% full of lint. This in spite of the fact that the laundry companies maintenance personnel were supposed to clean the ducts on a regular basis. It had cleanout doors for that. It is a good job we discovered that, before, a fire started in it.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

On reading the fintech Brochure what jumps out is the statement " Clean At once every 6 months ".

B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back