Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drying Tower Pump Tank Nozzle Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomster

Chemical
Feb 4, 2019
PH
What will be the best material to be used in nozzles if our pump tank is made of carbon steel. Our service fluid is sulfuric acid.
I'm worried about the galvanic corrosion that will happen if I will use dissimilar metals.
Any thoughts of this, or any recommended material for the nozzles?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In sulfuric acid service, the material of the tank nozzle should be the same as that of the tank.

The tank nozzle, however, should be of much greater thickness (Sched 160) than the tank wall ....

Where concentrated sulfuric acid flows through a carbon steel system, a phenomenon known as "Hydrogen Grooving" can occur where the CS piping system is eroded away at the 12 o'clock position

There has been some NACE Recommendations about the use of Stainless steel nozzles on CS tanks,......... and of course, the use of SS nozzles on CS tanks brings up the dissimilar metal corrosion issues.

This was discussed before on these fora ...

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

I have found several documents online that are guidelines for fabrication of steel for ______ acid service. I don't have them at my fingertips, but try googling with those keywords.

Hint from this black belt googler: try it with both spellings: sulphuric (correct) and sulfuric (US). Specify 'pdf' document type.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back