Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DT References 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burner2k

Aerospace
Jun 13, 2015
IN
Hello,
I am looking for a couple of references on Damage Tolerance.

1. Damage Tolerant Design Handbook - Skinn, D. A. ; Gallagher, Joseph P. ; Berens, Alan P. ; Huber, P. D. ; Smith, J.

The link to pdf isn't working.

Any recommendations on alternate DT handbook which contains compilation of Fracture Toughness data?

2. I am also looking for a source which has compilation of various SIF i.e. a SIF Handbook. I know the most popular one is by Rooke & Cartwright as well as one from Murakami but I don't think I will be having access to it in the near future.

I would appreciate any help from the experienced folks here.

Thanks in advance,
-B

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

if you have access to a book now, you "could" copy it ! ... mind you I'm not advocating that you do 'cause that'd be against copyright ... nudge, nudge.

if you have NASGRO or AFGRO I think their manuals include SIF equations ... AFGRO should be open source.

you might try to find "AFRL-VA-WP-TR-2004-3112" or "AFRL-VA-WP-TR-2003-3002" ... the latter is the USAF DT handbook, should be open course.

try the MIT opencourseware site.

there's a good book available in the UK ... sigmak.com I think.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Burner2k... try... [worked for me... large document, slow download]

Go to enter search terms: Damage tolerant design handbook and a treasure trove of related documents will be returned.

BTW: IF documents won't down load, then contact DTIC and a representative will usually help resolve the problem.

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion"]
o Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. [Picasso]

Wktaylor,
Thanks for the links. As it turned out for some reason I was unable to access at all. I had to use Tor to download the DTDH Handbook. Need to speak with my ISP.

rb1957,
I do not have access to a hardcopy of Rook & Cartwright. However, I do have access to the SigmaK book. That book does contain a chapter dedicated to SIF. However the author still refers to Rook & Cartwright for many advanced SIF solutions.

Also, I have a copy of AFGROW's DT Hand book and one chapter contains SIF solutions for most common cases. For most cases, I assume that SigmaK along with AFGROW would suffice.

I would still love to have a copy of a Handbook of SIF solutions. So if any one comes across a source, please let me know.

Regards,
- Burner

Burner2K..

Please try the DTIC links one more time & reply how it went.

Curious to see if You are still having issues with accessing DTIC reports!! NOTE These are fairly large files, so they can take a long time to download.

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion"]
o Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. [Picasso]

Wktaylor,
I am still having issues with accessing DTIC website.

However, I did check the above on a machine connected via a different ISP and DTIC website was accessible. So, it seems like it is an issue with my ISP. I will speak with them soon and try to get it resolved.

Regards,
- Burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back