Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Mass Flywheel > Conventional Flywheel for a Racing Application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

velocecrat

Automotive
Jun 23, 2009
US
Hi there,

I'm considering Audi's 90-degree V6 for an upcoming competition car. The engine is equipped with a dual-mass flywheel in stock form. Though the aftermarket offers no lightweight and/or conventional alternatives for this motor (and indeed don't seem to support this motor much if at all), I'd be interested in investigating a custom solution.

My question is whether vibrations from the 90-degree six would be significant enough with a lightweight flywheel to compromise driveline reliability? The engine is likely to be solidly mounted, driving a rear-mounted transaxle via a torque tube. Thanks.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're planning to rebuild the driveline after every race, it may not matter.

If you don't have that kind of budget, it probably does.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

DMF is there primarily to reduce rattle in neutral and other such things that don't matter when you are racing. Unless someone has specific information to the contrary I'd replace it with a lightweight conventional flywheel.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

On the VW diesels, the DMF is a known weak spot, but on those engines it's easy to substitute the older-design standard flywheel and a matching clutch assembly from a different model.

I agree with Greg, the purpose of the DMF is to reduce NVH concerns, improve shift comfort, etc. Replace it with a conventional flywheel for racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back