Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duct Pressure Class higher than 10? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuuvox000

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2019
US
I am designing a high velocity exhaust system and my calcs show that the fan motor external static pressure should be 12.5" w.c.. However, in the SMACNA manual I only see pressure classes that go up to 10 or -10. Can I specify a greater pressure class than this? Is there a standard beyond SMACNA for high pressures (or negative pressures)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Take a look at the SMACNA industrial duct standards (round or rectangular). The tables for skin thickness go up to 1/2" plate, so they'll more than cover the pressures you need (positive or negative). As a caveat, I'll add that my experience is in industrial process equipment and not HVAC, so there may be a better standard than this one, but this is what I'm aware of.

Thank you very much, I was using the HVAC SMACNA Standards Manual which I thought was the only one. Looks like I've crossed over a little into Industrial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back