Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duct sizing Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicsidhu

Mechanical
May 3, 2001
CA
Hi,

I am contemplating to buy a duct sizing program. I am evaluating various programs, but it is hard to make a decision. Elite has DUCTSIZE, which I think will suit my requirements. I want to hear from you if you have any experience with it. OR for that matter which one do you use and how do you find it.

regards,
Vicsidhu

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Trane gave us a Ductulator to use to size our ducts. I have seen a simple duct sizing program for free. I can't remember if it's for AutoCAD or stand alone. Give me your email address, and I'll send it to you if I can find it.

Thanks Madvb,

I have those ductulators and the software. McQuay has these as tools on their web site - they have small programs for more than just ducts.

I am looking for a more extensive program, where I can put in the whole layout, change it if and when needed, and get all the pressure drops and Noise calculations for all the paths. Not to mention the total E.S.P for the system.

Right now I am doing all this maually and it is such a pain to do it when small changes come in. Even though I have given up my practice to go with actual duct losses at all the components and have resloved to just Equivalent length method, I spend a lot of time. There are programs available which will do all mental labour for you. Now that I know the basics, I want to move on to being more efficient.

regards,
Vicsidhu

Trane has a program called Vari Trane Duct Designer. It runs about $500.00 for a single use license. Contact Trane. They may be willing to provide a demo version before you buy it. I haven't used it myself but I know it is the heart of one of the automated CAD design packages put out by Micro-Station.

by the way vicsidhu,
How are you determining the Lossess thru a reducer duct. When u calculate the static loss in the duct, equal friction method, how do u work out the loss in a total system (starting from an AHU Outlet till the last air outlet) is it by piece by piece.. (straigt duct, reducer, elbow..etc..) Please LET ME KNOW HOW TO CALCULATE FRICTION LOSS IN A "REDUCER" DUCT.

Thanks.

Ragu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back