Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ductile Iron and Flammable Hydrocarbons 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chance17

Chemical
Dec 2, 2005
US
Is ductile iron objectionable for use in a pump bowl pumping flammable hydrocarbons ??
My perception is that ductile iron is deligated to somewhat non-hazardous applications such as water or water based fluids.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In general: Yes. The ductile iron itself is not critical. Whether or not it is resistant against chemical attack is something different and depends upon the hydrocarbons and upon the ductile iron that is used. What must be considered is the question whether there is a possible danger that sparks can occur during pumping. Is there any metal (steel) part inside the pump which can hit against the ductile iron housing and create a spark?

I believe it's a safety precaution in the event of a fire. If the ductile iron gets really hot and then hit with water, it could crack and give the fire one more fuel source.

If you have a hydrocarbon processing facility with a serious enough fire to really heat up that pump, I'd tend to think that there are bigger issues at hand but I can see where they're coming from.

Check this website.....

Genrally speaking, any service where cast iron is acceptable, ductile iron is also OK.

I suggest that you contact the Manufacturer.....they can tell you if they have lots of DI pumps in hydrocarbon service

-MJC

Ductile Iron is not allowed in Refinery services on flammable Hydrocarbon (See API 610 10th - Annex G. The suitable selection is Carbon Steel (A216 WCB)as a minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back