Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ductwork for a laser dust collector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua Delta

Civil/Environmental
Dec 4, 2017
US
We are almost done installing an Amada 2415 laser and wanted to know if 40 feet of 10 inch ducting from the laser to a Torit 10 hp dust collector would work. We had to mount the dust collector outside the building due to space restraints and there would be 3 90 degree wide sweep elbows involved. I have gotten mixed answers from Amada and from Torit on this situation and even 2 differing answers from 2 local HVAC companies here in town. Does anyone know the cfm at the laser that would have to be pulled from the laser to the dust collector? Thanks for any answers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would depend entirely on the shape and size of the dust collection head and where the dust is pulled from, If you are pulling the dust from under the table you may entrain sparks from the cutting operation, Is your duct fireproof? Normally for steel dust you need a minimum velocity of 4000 feet per minute to ensure that the duct is self cleaning.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

I've seen ducting this long work without a problem. My concern is having the dust collector outside- you have to let air from outside into your building to make up for the air that the dust collector removes from your building. I had one install where it was hard to open the door to the room where the laser was running because of the negative air pressure. That will kill the effectiveness of your dust collector more than the long 10 inch duct

Chris Krug Maximum Up-time, Minimum BS

We did something similar and had Torit come check pressures and analyze the system to ensure it was adequate.

The challenges Chris K mentions regarding dust collectors outside the building are real. For dust collector to work correctly you'll need to provide make up air or keep an outside door open at all times.

For an operation like this with 10" dia ducting at the speeds required to entrain steel dust you will definitely need a makeup air grille. Or depending on the climate ,heated makeup air.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back