Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicating splines in solidworks / tube frame weldment

Status
Not open for further replies.

skhizzo

Mechanical
Jun 9, 2011
US
Trying to model a tube frame similar to the ariel atom with the swooping arches and I can't get the two splines to be exactly the same without copying the entity.
I placed 3 points in space and connected them with a 3d spline, I defined the tangent driven dimensions, then I created a spline for the other side with the same dimensions. The spline's arc length comes out different and it is oriented differently in one direction or another.
I couldn't figure out the reason for this, but with the tangent driving option checked, I still can't edit the tangent weighting parameters. The tangent weighting boxes are greyed out and seem to be the only difference between the two splines ( different values ).

At first, I thought I'd draw everything on one side then mirror it at the end. I have found that I couldn't mirror 3d sketches. Any ideas on mirroring 3d sketches? Seems like common sense to be able to have a plane as the centerline and mirror everything about the plane.

Any ideas and help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nevermind, solved the grey tangent weighting option problem and equal length issue by unchecking maintain internal continuity.
Would still like to know of a better way to draw a whole tube frame using mirrors though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back