Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Duralmin

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMc

Automotive
Nov 25, 2001
US
Regarding "letstalk"'s message about uses of Duralmin, listed under subject "bolt torque values".

Without going into the subject of why a question about Duralmin is posted in a bolt torque thread, Duralmin seems to be one of those "space age" alloys. Two sites I found after just a quick search list it as the primary material in motorcyle (I think) steering forks, and in a robot which is intended to become a self-programming, "learning" robot.

Duralmin seems to have the advantages of low weight, and resistance to compression. My guess would be that any place where these two are a desireable combination would be places to find Duralmin (racing, aviation, spacecraft, etc), although it seems to be a fairly new, and thus fairly expensive, material. Likewise, if as it's name seems to imply, it is an aluminum alloy of some kind, then it may also carry some of aluminum's disadvantages, such as low heat resistance and relative softness. Letstalk might have better luck with Duralmin's applications in the satellite engineering forum, or the automotive engineering forum.

Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back