Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duro hardness a scale vs d scale

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddiewdi

Mechanical
Jun 28, 2006
US
I have specification with a requirement of 65a to 75a shore hardness. The product I received MTR indicates 65d scale. The supplier laboratory reports indictes 65d scale. I have a NCR generated. The supplier claims the materisl meets the specification. I need some clarification. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This appears to be quite simple: as btrueblood already indicated, Shore A and Shore D are not the same. The overlap starts around 80 Shore A ~ 30 Shore D, meaning anything below 80 Shore A can only be measured with Shore A scale, and ends around 90 Shore A ~ 40 Shore D, meaning anything greater than 40 Shore D can not be measured using Shore A. So, 65 Shore D is most certainly not the within the specification range of 65-75 Shore A. Even a cursory examination should show this: 65 Shore D is quite rigid and will not be able to be deformed by hand, while 65-75 Shore A is quite flexible and elastic.

Thanks for the response, final results indicate that the defined specification was wrong and the supplier was right. Just have to step in it sometimes.

thank again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back