Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dust free shaft grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feg

Mechanical
Oct 2, 2003
IE
Hi,

Would any of you guys know of dust free shaft grounding for an AC motor, this is needed as we need insulated bearings on NDE and DE but as the motor will be in a clean room dust from contact brush style grounding device is not allowed. I know there are some products such as AEGIS but i have no experience with them. If there is any other way of getting around this, I was thinking of reducing switching freq on VSD as a partial solution and HF grounding straps but any help would be appreciated.

Fergal

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Inpro-Seal makes a shaft seal system that incorporates grounding brushes similar to the Aegis. The thing I’m not sure of is which side of he seal the brushes are on. But if you talk to them and describe what you want, Inpro -Seal are really good at the sealing part. They may accommodate you.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

The Impro-Seal shaft seal referred to by jraef is a very good product for its purpose... "butt",
I have a hunch the AEGIS grounding system will more adequately serve your objective.

The motor shaft must be free of any pulley, coupling etc. to initially install the product.
In some cases, the motor has to be removed or temporarily shifted from its installation
to provide working room for portable drilling and tapping of mounting holes in the motor's end bracket.

Overall, the AEGIS grounding "ring" will provide a ground connection to the shaft
with little measurable debris created if any.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back